Grants are available for front-line food aid charities to help them continue to provide food to the vulnerable.
Funding body: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)
Maximum value: £ 100,000
Application deadline: 06/07/2020
Objectives of Fund
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) has launched the one-off £3.45 million Coronavirus (COVID-19) Food Charities Grant Fund to help front-line food aid charities that are working to provide food to vulnerable people.
The funding aims to help charities coontinue their work.
There is a total fund of £3.45 million with grants of between £30,000 and £100,000 per organisation being made available.
Who Can Apply
Front-line food aid charities can apply.
Applicants will be eligible if they:
- Are unable to meet an increased demand for food from vulnerable individuals or supporting charities.
- Have the capacity to distribute all of the food purchased under this grant by 9 August 2020.
Applicants will need to provide details on:
- Their capacity to distribute a minimum of 30% of the weekly average of food (by weight) for each week of the grant period.
- How many beneficiaries have sought support through their organisation on average per week, for the last four months.
- Their organisation’s fixed operating costs.
- Free reserves held.
- How many months’ operating costs would this cover in the current situation.
- To what extent they need to draw on reserves during the next six months.
- Income projections, as affected by COVID-19.
- Cash flow projections, as affected by COVID-19.
- Their current food distribution activities and explain how they plan to use funding from this grant.
The funding is not available to provide food for the extremely clinically vulnerable who are already being supported by Government.
The funding is to be used to provide for people:
- Who are unable to afford food.
- Who have moved into temporary accommodation as a result of COVID-19, for example those who have left home due to domestic abuse, newly released prisoners, or the newly homeless.
How To Apply
The deadline for bids is 6 July 2020 (12 noon).
Application is through the eSourcing portal.
Applications will be assessed strictly on a first come first served basis.
The outcome of the application will be sent by email.
Questions about the grant or how to apply should be sent by email to Defra at email@example.com