Small one-off grants are available to small local charities and community groups for community projects in Great Britain that address themes set out by the funders.
Funding body: Postcode Community Trust
Maximum value: £ 500
Application deadline: 31/10/2021
Localgiving and Postcode Community Trust are working together again in 2021 to provide small grants to small local charities and community groups in England, Scotland and Wales. This year, five more funding trusts will be supporting the grants programme.
Objectives of Fund
The Magic Little Grants Fund provides local charities and community groups the opportunity to access funding to launch or deliver their services.
A total of £1 million is being made available in 2021.
It is expected that more than 2,000 organisations will receive a grant of £500 in 2021.
Organisations that receive a grant will also be awarded a year of free membership (funded by the player’s of the People’s Postcode Lottery). This means that the grant recipient will not have to pay the £80 + VAT membership fee, although they will still be required to set up a direct debit upon registration.
Who Can Apply
To access the Magic Little Grants Fund, applicants must:
- Be eligible to join Localgiving byHaving charitable aims that are not solely for the advancement of religion.
- Operating on local/regional community initiatives and not be a national charity.
- Having a UK bank account in the group’s name.
- Have an annual income under £250,000 or be in their first year of operation.
The following organisations can apply:
- Registered charities with either the Charity Commission for England & Wales or Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).
- Community Interest Companies (CICs).
- Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIOs, SCIOs).
- Social enterprises.
- Other not-for-profit community organisations.
- Charitable organisations that are schools or connected to schools.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Groups and projects in Northern Ireland.
- National groups.
- Organisations that have previously been funded by a Magic Little Grant or the players of People’s Postcode Lottery and have not finished the project/activity.
- Organisations that have previously delivered a project funded by a Magic Little Grant or the players of People’s Postcode Lottery and have not completed their monitoring/evaluation form.
- Activities focused on professional sports or physical arts where the participating athletes/performers are being paid.
- Activities using gardening projects to deliver physical activity.
- Medical equipment that supports the delivery of physical activities.
- Medical treatment.
- Foreign travel.
Unlike previous years when projects had to deliver sports or physical activities, this year (2021) the funding aims to support projects that address the following themes:
- Improving mental wellbeing
- Enabling community participation in the arts
- Preventing or reducing the impact of poverty
- Supporting marginalised groups and promoting equality
- Improving biodiversity and green spaces
- Enabling participation in physical activity
- Responding to the climate emergency and promoting sustainability
- Increasing community access to outdoor space.
Grants can be used to support the general running costs of new or existing projects. For example, this could include anything from; supporting homeless individuals to find safe accommodation to organising virtual art sessions in the community, or from purchasing sports equipment to running diversity classes.
Grants can also be used to cover core business costs.
England, Wales and Scotland
How To Apply
The 2021 application window is now open. Applications can be made at any time until 31 October 2021.
All applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application, regardless of whether they are successful or not, within two months of their submission.
Groups should first read the guidance notes, on the Localgiving website.
Localgiving members can log in to their account to access the online application.
The application process is administered entirely by Localgiving and all enquiries should be directed to the Localgiving Help Desk
Each organisation may only apply once in 2021.
Localgiving – Magic Little Grants