Grants are available for UK based health charities to help them recover from the negative effects of the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic and to support patients and their families who are vulnerable to infection.
Funding body: Merck Sharp & Dohme (MSD)
Maximum value: £ 20,000
Application deadline: 31/07/2020
MSD is one of the top five biopharmaceutical companies in the UK. MSD is a trade name of Merck & Co., Inc., with headquarters in Kenilworth, NJ, USA. In the UK, the name is Merck Sharp & Dohme Limited (MSD).
Objectives of Fund
Grants for UK based health charities that are working with vulnerable populations across the UK to continue work that has been impacted by coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic.
The aim is to support charities to continue projects, which might otherwise have proven too difficult to implement or, to support the creation of new projects which are now needed.
The maximum grant available is £20,000 or 20% (whichever is the lower amount) of the applicant organisation’s annual gross turnover or projected turnover in a single application or for cumulative successful applications.
Who Can Apply
Organisations interested in applying must be:
- A registered UK based charity (please provide charity number within the application).
- Have been operating as a charity for three years or more.
The funding cannot be used to support wages, hire new staff or payment of financial debt.
The funding is for projects which are either needed to ensure the completion of existing projects or to support newly created projects which will:
- Support patients or their families being treated in the UK healthcare environment, as listed in the NHS’ COVID-19 Vulnerable populations list, or
- Improve a given disease pathway e.g. disease awareness or alleviation of associated socio-economic factors, or
- Support populations groups defined as clinically vulnerable to COVID-19 infection.
How To Apply
The deadline for applications is 5pm on 31 July 2020.
There is no standard application form, rather applicants should submit the following information as a word document by email to grantscommittee@merck by 5pm on 31 July 2020.
The following information is available in the application guidelines document on the MSD website.
Applications should include the following details:
- Name and address of the organisation requesting or receiving the grant.
- Name and contact details of the following: (in the case that these roles are all carried out by the same person, please indicate this and provide details of that individual):
- Chief Executive Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
- Project Manager/Accountable Project Owner
- The quantified loss or projected loss from voluntary income or total income as a result of COVID-19.
- OR quantify the increase for service demand as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- OR demonstrate need (and impact) to change services based on COVID-19 pandemic requirements.
- Be for a defined sum of money.
- Be able to demonstrate the purpose for the requested sum of money.
- Not be requested for support of wages, hire of new staff or payment of financial debt.
- A full breakdown of the costs for the proposed purpose(s) must be provided.
- Timings and milestones related to the roll out or delivery of the project.
Scheme – Guidance Document
Criteria and Application Guidelines
MSD – Grants