Refugee Futures is a newly established charity in Stockton on Tees established by a group of individuals who have worked and volunteered within the sector in Stockton for over 20 years. This is a coming together of people to take action on areas we believe are essential in Stockton. Our vision is that Stockton and the surrounding area is welcoming and inclusive to Asylum Seekers and Refugees so they belong and are able to maximise their skills and abilities and flourish within the community.
About the role
As the Action Asylum Project Lead at Refugee Futures you will be delivering a pilot project in partnership with Action Asylum. Action Asylum are currently engaging asylum seekers in volunteer opportunities alongside local volunteers across Merseyside, Hampshire and Sheffield. Stockton will be the fourth borough to engage with this exciting pilot programme that aims to connect asylum seekers with regular (weekly or monthly) volunteer opportunities and larger one off volunteer action events.
Set-up and deliver excellent volunteer events and regular placements to engage asylum seekers including all logistical requirements i.e venue sourcing, preparing all necessary resources and equipment for scheduled events as well as ensuring compliance with Health and Safety, GDPR, and safeguarding policies.
Volunteer recruitment, support and management of volunteers both from Asylum seeking backgrounds and those from the host community to work together on volunteer projects. Facilitate cross-cultural exchange and learning through volunteer events. Match volunteers where possible to opportunities that meet their areas of interest, skill set or long term
career goals and or other social emotional needs.
Report to Refugee Futures Development Manager on targets, project reports, incidents and project success. Work with Refugee Futures Development Manager to ensure that policies and procedures are fit for purpose during project delivery, providing feedback through regular meetings. Attend meetings with Action Asylum counterparts in other boroughs over Zoom twice a month to share best practice and update on project outcomes for Stockton on Tees. Work to targets and tight deadlines in line with funding requirements, evidence outcomes via monthly project reports.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of working with Refugees and Asylum seekers: knowledge and understanding of the specific needs of this demographic through direct work with and or lived experience.
- Logistics: experience of working on complex projects in short timeframes and a track record of meeting deadlines.
- Project & Event Management: experience managing large scale events or projects in a paid or voluntary setting ensuring event safety and compliance: management and review of venue risk
assessments, and reporting of accidents and incidents.
- Stakeholder Engagement: ensuring effective partnership working with local charities, community groups, Stockton Borough Council, local businesses etc to ensure effective management of volunteer opportunities and events.
- Communications: writing publications for print and social media
- Budget Management: manage the project budget, procure resources and account for expenditure
- Secure client record keeping: ensure necessary data is recorded securely inline with Refugee Futures procedures.
- Safeguarding & Risk Management: Can demonstrate ability to uphold excellent risk management and ensure that the safety of participants is paramount in all elements of event planning and delivery
- Report Writing: is able to demonstrate project success and learning and has experience writing funding reports.
- Volunteer management: experience of successful volunteer management within the community.
- Character: Solution focused, positive individual able to work with minimal supervision.
- Holds an in date first aid certificate
- Able to work flexible hours, sometimes evenings and weekend work will be required
- Willingness to undertake training and develop knowledge as required for the role
- Ability to travel within the designated area for partner meetings and event delivery
This is a part time role 2 days a week until December 2021 with the potential to extend based on project success.
Salary will be paid at a day rate initially £100-120 per day depending on experience.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to: Jess.wratten@RefugeeFutures.org
Deadline: Thursday 17th June 9am