Common Purpose is an international not-for-profit leadership development organization, we run programmes in over 70 cities worldwide offering participants the knowledge, skills and inspiration to cross boundaries and become more active and engaged leaders in society.
The North East was the birthplace of Common Purpose almost 30 years ago. Since then over 6,500 people have taken part in our programmes in the region. They operate from an office in central Newcastle, which forms part of a UK-wide network of regional offices delivering Common Purpose programmes. We deliver programmes for senior leaders from Newcastle and the wider region.
They also offer customized workshops and programmes for organizations looking to create something more customized for their staff teams, as well as programmes for students at undergraduate level with local Universities. Whether open programmes, customized or student programmes, they involve a diverse mix of individuals from across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors in order to broaden participants’ vision and perspectives.
Salary: £33,000 – £35,000 per annum
Hours: Full time
They are currently looking for a dynamic and ambitious professional to join us as Business Development Manager for the North East in their UK team. This represents a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to take the next step in their professional career. Full of energy, drive and with a can-do attitude you will work closely with the Operations Director to grow their presence in the North East and across the UK.
Operating within a dynamic and fast-paced environment you will be responsible for looking after and growing their client base in the North East and delivering their leadership programmes in the region. This includes both open programmes and customized work. The role will also be required to work and travel across the UK from time to time supporting other members of the wider UK team as part of Common Purpose’s flexible resource model.
They are looking for someone who shares our values and is passionate about growing our business and developing leaders.
This is a rewarding, busy and involved role, which offers a great opportunity to consolidate experience, work with interesting people around the world and develop new skills. Working at Common Purpose can be incredibly rewarding; they offer the opportunity to work in a large, diverse and successful organization where people can develop their skills, knowledge and careers in a supportive and flexible environment.
As Business Development Manager you will:
- Have responsibility for developing new and existing business and selling our programmes in the North East, taking ownership of income targets and promoting our brand (80% of your time).
- Convene a senior and diverse participant group drawing from an ever-widening pool each year and address weak areas of recruitment
- Build and sustain relationships with a diverse range of organizations and people in senior positions and key decision-makers
- Ensure that the Common Purpose image locally is high profile, independent and professional
- Facilitate high-quality leadership programmes for groups of up to 50 people (20% of your time
- Deliver challenging, balanced and relevant curriculum for all programmes
A day in the life
A typical day in the life of the Programme Director would entail:
- Networking and forming new relationships and partnerships through meetings and conversations with people and organizations doing amazing things in the region
- Grappling with interesting problems and working on stimulating complex projects with a dynamic and energetic team
- Working with creative colleagues from our Marketing team in London on key proposal documentation
- Delivering transformational leadership development programme days, working with participants you might never normally meet
The Operations Director is willing to consider candidates from any background provided they can demonstrate the relevance of their skills and experience to this role.
You will also be a strong team player with the ability to work flexibly, have excellent attention to detail and great people skills. You will have an excellent approach to time and project management with the ability to work to challenging deadlines and competing demands.
You will essentially demonstrate:
- Experience of generating high levels of income from appropriately marketing and selling goods and services across a range of sectors
- Experience of building sustainable relationships, persuading, and gaining support for campaigns and programmes at a senior level across all sectors
- The ability to recruit high quality participants for programmes from across all sectors
- The ability to demonstrate sensitivity; being responsive to different situations and personalities
- Experience of facilitating programmes and inspiring confidence in senior and diverse groups of up to 50 people
- The ability to steer a balanced and non-aligned path especially under pressure
- The ability to use diversity to strengthen the programme
- Sound knowledge of local, national issues and current affairs
- The ability to work effectively within a team
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- A proficient use of MS Office and using mobile technology in the field
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different functions and cultures
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritizing a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- Able and willing to travel to locations for short periods of time and at short notice
- An understanding of and commitment to Common Purpose’s mission, values and behaviours
For those interested please apply directly to HR@commonpurpose.org with your detailed CV and letter of intent.