Grants are available to non-profit organisations across the UK to establish a new Community Fridge to minimise food waste
The funding is intended to support the development of Community Fridges that help to reduce food waste and meet the needs of diverse populations.
- Supporting applications in regions with a sparsity of Community Fridges (a map can be found on the Hubbub Foundation website).
- Supporting groups in areas with high levels of multiple deprivation.
- Ensuring a fair and inclusive application process with equal opportunities for everyone, regardless of background, culture or race.
Each successful applicant will receive a grant of £4,000.
100 Community Fridges are expected to be funded.
Who Can Apply
Not-for-profit groups with a bank account may apply.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must:
- Be setting up a new Community Fridge which has not yet opened.
- Establish the Community Fridge within six months and have intentions to sustain the project for at least three years.
The funders are particularly keen to receive applications which meet the following specifications:
- The fridge will be open to the entire community and not used for emergency food provision.
- There is not an existing Community Fridge or similar food project within a two-mile radius of the proposed location.
- The project group sees the potential to set up future food and environment-related projects.
The following are not eligible for funding:
- Organisations based outside the UK.
- Anyone applying on behalf of another organisation.
- Organisations without at least two unconnected people on the board or committee.
- Companies aimed at generating profits for private distributution.
The funding can be used to cover:
- Staffing costs for the Community Fridge.
- Purchasing fridge/freezer(s).
- Community Fridge volunteer expenses.
- Utilities relating to the Community Fridge (water, electricity).
- Insurance for the Community Fridge.
- Print display materials.
- Cleaning materials.
- Relevant training (food hygiene, safeguarding).
How To Apply
The deadline to apply is midnight Tuesday 1st February 2022.
Full guidelines and an online application form can be found HERE