Catalyst is looking to recruit a highly motivated part qualified Finance Officer to join our team. The role will be reporting to the Business Support Manager and has responsibility for the day-to-day financial management, financial reporting including budgeting, cash flow, invoicing and billing, debtors, payroll, systems, and accounting.
A key aspect of the role will be to project/program and grants accounting and supporting VCSE organisations with their financial queries and grants information.
Salary: £24,000 (pro rata)
Hours: 16-20 hours per week operated on a TOIL basis
Location: Catalyst House, 27 Yarm Road TS18 3NJ
Annual leave: 28 days
Responsible to: Business Services Manager
Responsible for: None
Catalyst is the leading voice for Stockton-on-Tees’ voluntary, community and social enterprise sector (VCSE). We work with all types of organisations, to find innovative solutions that help the sector continually improve and thrive. Catalyst offers a range of specialist support and benefits to its 300+ members and 600+ organisations in the borough.
- Is strong, well-run and effective;
- Delivers innovative, new ways of building capacity within the VCSE in Stockton-on-Tees;
- Delivers strategic and practical support for VCSE organisations;
- Listens to and represents Stockton-on-Tees VCSE and campaigns for its future;
- Supports the VCSE which is innovative, committed to quality and delivers results;
- Shapes public policy.
The post holder is responsible for creating and maintaining efficient financial systems and to compile reports as required.
The post holder will be responsible for supporting VCSE organisations with their financial queries and grants information.
- Preparation of the end of month accounts;
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all projects, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting;
- Coordinate the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary;
- Manage organisational cash flow and forecasting;
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements;
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual;
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors;
- Constantly review banking arrangements to ensure timely transfer of funds and minimise exchange loses and bank charges;
- Identify and resolve invoicing issues, accounting discrepancies and other financial related issues.
- Advise and support VCSE organisations around their financial management concerns in conjunction with the Community Programme Manager;
- Assist the Business Support Manager to advise VCSE organisations in how they can be compliant with financial management expectations of receiving grant funding from Catalyst and other sources.
Like all Catalyst Team members at all levels of the organisation there is an expectation to be available to help others in the delivery of services to the VCSE. It is expected that all staff members are enthusiastic, supportive and interested in each other’s work and that every member knows it is their responsibility to engender a positive and happy work environment. Staff are also expected to take seriously their own development and learning and to seek areas where they can develop their skills and knowledge further.
Specifically the Finance Officer will:
- Attend supervision and appraisal sessions with the Business Support Manager;
- Attend weekly team briefing meetings at 9.15am on Mondays;
- Agree to take six days leave over Christmas as the office closes for the whole festive period;
- Support the smooth running of the building as required including liaising with tenants, undertaking reception duties and answering the telephone;
- Attend Board meetings to report on finance as requested.
Please complete the application form and return to the attention of the Business Support Manager ‘Job Application’ at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for this post is 12 noon on Monday 13th May 2019.
Interviews will take place on Thursday 23rd May 2019.