When older people come out of the hospital, they can need more support than usual to help get them back on their feet.
If you live in the borough of Stockton-on-Tees and are over 50, Five Lamps offer a free service providing short term support in your own home when you are discharged from the hospital.
The type of support delivered includes:
- Helping get back on your feet in your own home
- Shopping for food and essentials
- Ensuring the heating works
- Tidying the house
- Collecting prescriptions and medicines
- Awareness of local social groups and classes in the area
- Supporting customers getting to GP & hospital appointments following discharge
The Home from Hospital service is funded by the National Lottery Community Fund. Five Lamps currently have two Support Workers delivering this service from North Tees University Hospital, who are fully equipped with PPE. Since the project inception, they have supported over 300 Service User’s on low level discharge from North Tees University hospital back into their own homes to prevent hospital readmission. They can also provide a vital link between the older person and the outside world at a time when they are still recovering from an accident or illness and encourage them to get involved in social inclusion activities. Five Lamps have access to an extensive referral network of support agencies for the elderly and vulnerable, such as healthy hearts, Age UK and coffee mornings to also combat social isolation. They liaise regularly with Social Services for assessment for care and equipment needs.
Five Lamps Service User feedback is:
- 100% customer satisfaction from our Service Users.
- 97% of Service Users are now feeling more confident since accessing the service.
- 92% of service users reporting that their social isolation has reduced since accessing the service.
- 84% of Service Users reported that their chance of being readmitted to hospital has been reduced since accessing the service.
If you would like to utilise this service, please contact the Five Lamps team on 07591951210 or 07739973394. You can also email HFH@fivelamps.org.uk