Green theme for One Planet Pioneers’ school holiday programme
A Middlesbrough environmental project has lined up a packed schedule of summer events to encourage young people to sample eco-friendly activities during the school holidays.
One Planet Pioneers is a collaboration between Middlesbrough Environment City (MEC), Actes Trust and Tees Valley Wildlife Trust, which aims to develop the skills of young people through environmental projects. The project is inviting young people from Middlesbrough and Stockton aged 11-years and above to get involved in a range of taster activities taking place throughout August.
The varied programme comprises of the following free activities which are available to book onto on a first come, first served basis:
- Tees Barrage Festival, Make & Take craft with River Tees Rediscovered – Monday 06 August, 11am – 3pm at The Tees Barrage, River Tees, Stockton-on-Tees.
- Recycled Art Workshop with The Start Studio – Friday 17 August, 10am – 2pm at The Start Studio, 2 Park Road South, Linthorpe, Middlesbrough, TS5 6HB.
- Bushcraft and Bug Boxes – Tuesday 21 August,10am – 2pm at Middlesbrough Environment City (MEC), Sandy Flatts Lane, Middlesbrough, TS5 7YN.
- Nature Detectives – Thursday 23 August, 10am – 2pm at Acklam Community Hub and Library, Acklam Road, Middlesbrough, TS5 7AB.
- Bush Craft and Den Building – Tuesday 28 August, 10am – 2pm at Stewart Park, The Grove, Marton-in-Cleveland, Middlesbrough TS7 8AR.
- Five a-side Knock Out Football – Friday 31 August, 11am – 3pm, Acklam Green Centre, Stainsby Road, Middlesbrough, TS5 4JS.
One Planet Pioneers’ officer, Nicky Morgan, said: “Our summer activity programme is designed to whet the appetite of local young people about the work of One Planet Pioneers, and to encourage them to engage in environmental activities within their local communities.
“We’ve teamed up with a range of organisations including River Tees Rediscovered and The Start Studio to offer a mix of practical, educational and physical activities which offers something for everyone. We hope that some of the young people who participate in the activities continue to engage with One Planet Pioneers, where they will have the opportunity to broaden their skills, experiences and future opportunities.
“Our summer activities always prove really popular, so I would urge anyone who is interested in taking part to confirm their place as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.”
One Planet Pioneers is one of 31 UK wide projects forming the Our Bright Future programme which is funded by the Big Lottery Fund. For more information about the summer activity programme or to book a place call Nicky or Casper at Middlesbrough Environment City on 01642 579839/579832 or email Nicky at firstname.lastname@example.org
Further media information: Lindsey Spears, Marketing & Communications Officer at Actes, Tel: 01642 856 054, Mobile: 07540 106 123, Email: email@example.com
Notes for Editors
Our Bright Future
- Our Bright Future is an ambitious and innovative partnership led by The Wildlife Trusts which brings together the youth and environmental sectors.
- This £33 million programme funded by the National Lottery through the Big Lottery Fund is formed of 31 projects across the UK.
- Each project is helping young people aged 11-24 gain vital skills and experience and improve their wellbeing. At the same time, they act as catalysts for delivering change for their local environment and community; whilst contributing to a greener economy.
Big Lottery Fund
- The Big Lottery Fund is the largest funder of community activity in the UK. We put people in the lead to improve their lives and communities, often through small, local projects.
- We are responsible for giving out 40% of the money raised by National Lottery players for good causes. In 2016/17 we awarded £712.7 million and supported more than 13,814 projects across the UK for health, education, environment and charitable purposes.
- Since June 2004 we have awarded £8.5 billion to projects that change the lives of millions of people.
Actes is an expert social regenerator working throughout Tees Valley to help individuals improve their lives by delivering client-led education training and employability, health and well-being, and financial confidence services.
More information about Actes can be found at www.actes.co.uk or by following on Twitter (@ActesTrust). Information and advice is also available by calling 01642 856 030.
Middlesbrough Environment City
Middlesbrough Environment City is an independent charity that works with local communities, public bodies and the private sector to promote healthy and sustainable lifestyles using the ten principles of One Planet Living. Each year MEC undertakes over 40 projects in the community, including home energy efficiency, food growing, healthy cooking, cycling, walking and outdoor play.
One Planet Living is a simple way of demonstrating how we can all live in a way that ensures that future generations will also have the resources that they need. Developed by international charity Bioregional, it is based on the fact that if everyone in the world lived lifestyles similar to those of people in the UK, we would need three planets to sustain us all. The challenge is to ensure good Quality of Life whilst reducing our use of resources to those that can be sustained by one planet. One Planet Living is based on ten principles that cover a range of topics including reducing energy use and waste, transport, food production, culture and community and health and happiness.
More information about Middlesbrough Environment City can be found at www.menvcity.org.uk, or Facebook (www.facebook.com/menvcity) or by following on Twitter (@Menvcity). Information and advice is also available by calling 01642 579820.