Schools within our borough are looking for school governors and you could be the perfect fit.
School governors represent people from many walks of life including; school staff, parents, the local community and organisations connected to the school. This ensures school decisions are made by people with a wide range of experience.
The role of a school governor is to contribute to the work of the governing body/trust board to ensure high standards of achievement for all children and young people in the school with the following three main functions:
- Setting the school’s vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and ensuring the funds are well spent
You don’t need to have a child in school or be a parent of a child of any age and there is no special qualifications required as free training is provided. Serving on a School Governing Body is so rewarding and allows you to meet new people and gain news skills and experience along the way. This opportunity also allows you to:
- Use your own experience of education and life beyond school to make decisions
- Develop and utilise your skills
- Make a valuable contribution to education and your community
- Support and challenge the school so that it improves for pupils and staff
We currently have governor vacancies available across Stockton-on-Tees If you’re interested in finding out more please we would love to hear from you.
Katie Gallagher, School and Governor Support Officer firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.stockton.gov.uk/children-and-young-people/information-for-school-governors/