Grants are available to provide protective security measures to places of worship in England and Wales that have been subject to, or are vulnerable to hate crimes that target people because of their religion.

Funding body: Home Office
Maximum value: £ 56,000
Application deadline: 09/08/2020

The £2.4 million Places of Worship: Security Funding Scheme was created in 2016 by the Home Office to help places of worship tackle hate crimes against them through the installation of additional security equipment.

Objectives of Fund
The scheme is part of the Government’s Action Against Hate – The UK Government’s Plan for Tackling Hate Crime. It will provide protective security measures to places of worship that have been subject to, or are vulnerable to a hate crime attack.

Hate crimes are any crimes motivated by hostility on the grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation, disability or transgender identity. This scheme is focusing on religion.

In a bid to tackle the increasing number of hate crimes directed at religious buildings, the Government is making the funding available to places of worship so that they can purchase extra security equipment.

Value Notes
The total funding pot for 2020 is £3.2 million.

Grants of up to £56,000 per place of worship are available.

Match Funding Restrictions
Places of worship need to contribute at least 20% of the total cost of the project.

Who Can Apply
Places of worship in England and Wales can submit a bid.

The following are some examples of places of worship buildings that are eligible to apply for the funding (this is not an exhaustive list):

  • Churches
  • Gurdwaras
  • Mosques
  • Temples
  • Associated faith community centres (defined as community centre run by a place of worship or near a place of worship that is faith based, and where regular worship takes place).

England and Wales

The following are not eligible for funding:

  • The Jewish community and Synagogues, as a similar commitment was made to fund Jewish community sites through a grant administered by the Community Security Trust.
  • Faith schools.
  • Educational institutions.
  • NHS establishments (including chapels and prayer rooms).
  • Places that may hold religious services.
  • Costs relating to the recruitment of security personnel.
  • Annual service charges.
  • Maintenance charges.
  • One-off fees such as connection or monitoring charges.
  • Improvements.
  • Security upgrades.
  • Crimes such as anti-social behaviour, burglary and theft of lead from church roofs.
  • Security personnel/guarding.
  • Costs associated with the security measures, such as licensing and planning permission, or ongoing costs such as charges for annual service, maintenance and monitoring.
  • General building improvements.

Eligible Expenditure
The funding can cover the costs of up to three security measures from the following list:

  • CCTV (fixed cameras, not pan-tilt cameras)
  • Fencing and/or railings (no more than 2.1m high)
  • Manually operated pedestrian and vehicle gates
  • Automated vehicle gates
  • Security doors and locks
  • Reinforcing single glazed windows (with anti-shatter film or bars/grilles)
  • Intruder alarms
  • Access control (fob or keypad)
  • Video intercom systems
  • Lighting (building mounted)

The funding only covers the provision and installation of these security measures. It does not cover other associated costs such as licensing and planning permission, or ongoing costs such as charges for annual service, maintenance and monitoring.

How To Apply
Applications will be accepted from 16 June until 23:59 on 9 August 2020.

Successful bids will be communicated by January 2021 (this date is a guide and can be subject to change).

Full details of the scheme and the online application form can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Given the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, the application process has been changed to allow the scheme to launch without applicants needing to attend their place of worship or engage Designing Out Crime Officers to undertake site assessments at this point in time.

Any queries regarding an application should be directed to the Home Office’s nominated contractor Esotec Limited.

Payment Procedure
Esotec Limited, the Home Office’s nominated contractor, will engage with grant recipients on the installation of the approved security measures. Grant recipients will need to pay them 20% of the agreed costs. The Home Office will pay the remaining 80% to this nominated contractor.

Useful Links
Hate Crime Action Plan 2016 to 2020
Home Office – Places of Worship Security Funding

Have a news article you'd
like to share?

Click the link below to submit your article to us

Submit Article