Leading the way: How local and regional government can best support community-led housing.
Tuesday 8th December 13:00-14:30 (Online)
Community-Led Homes and Community Homes Tees Valley (Enabler Hub) invite you to this online event, which will showcase some of those best practice examples of support for community-led housing by local Government, regional government and LEPs and the ways in which the enabler hubs can best support authorities in meeting their objectives.
Community Led Housing (CLH) in the Tees Valley is generally associated with bringing empty homes back into use. CLH offers much more than this one approach. Around the country CLH project are delivering new and refurbished homes through a range of different approaches. This includes Community Land Trusts, Cooperatives, Cohousing that offer different tenures – rented home-ownership (Shared and Mutual Home Ownership Schemes). CLH is focused on creating homes that are affordable in perpetuity, meet the needs of the communities and provide meaningful involvement decision making and control through developing and managing the homes.
CLH Hubs support groups and communities to create homes through new build, self and custom build as well as repurposing and refurbishing and existing buildings (self-help). Hubs work to develop relations and partnerships with local and combined authorities, registered providers, developers and house builders to enable CLH projects deliver the homes they need.
Tees Valley CLH activity continues to bring empty properties back into use, but new activity involves new build projects which include:
- Cromwell House (Peer-led Recovery House) in South Bank (8 units)
- Apartments for over 55’s on Crowell Road site (32 units)
- Women’s Peer-led Recovery House in Brotton using modular construction (17 units).
- Extra-care eco-village in Dormanstown (20 units)
- Health Village, consortium of Hartlepool VCS Organisations (70+ units)
- Nunthorpe residents – discussions
- Darlington – discussions with VCS group to support accessible/lifetime homes
- Hartlepool – two infill sites to provide up to 4 units (self-build)
Register for the event here